Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Expect the unexpected

There are many things you expect to do in Iceland. Eat fish, see glaciers, watch geysers, maybe see the northern lights. Eating in a Korean/Icelandic fusion restaurant while listening to Motown isn't one of them.

Both of my first two choices for dinner were fully booked tonight, but I passed a restaurant called 'K-Bar' in between them. Lonely Planet and TripAdvisor both rated it really highly, so I figured I'd give it a go. Got korean spiced lamb chops and apple pie with frozen skyr (Icelandic yogurt) and miso. Odd, yes, but quite tasty.

I also sat at a table next to two older American women, and found out they were from Georgia. One had a nephew who'd gone to Georgia Tech, and one was a former UGA professor (I have a strange habit of running into those while abroad). We exchanged the obligatory jibes, then wished each other happy trips

There was also a table of men a couple tables down who were speaking for a good twenty minutes before I realized 'Oh, that's English. Just heavily Scott-ified.'

I wonder if I'll have a bigger language barrier in Scotland than I've had here...

No comments:

Post a Comment